Thinking about a new laptop
1) What is your budget?
Maybe $1600? I if I can stay under $1,000 that would be greatly preferred and is easier to swallow.
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen (preferred choice)
3) Where will you buying this notebook? USA
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Dell, Lenovo, Sager
b. Dislike: Apple
5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? No
6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
I want to be able to watch youtube or netflix while browsing the internet without it burning my legs.
Primary use is video, browsing, and streaming steam games from another computer
7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
All over. Mostly as a laptop
8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
I would stream a game from my more powerful computer or use my Xbox
9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Yes
11) What OS do you prefer? I really want to use Linux
12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
For 15" 1080p, for 17" 4K
IPS required, I dont care about a touch screen
Brighter the better
13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
Matte would be nice but it is not a requirement
Build Quality and Design
14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
15) When are you buying this laptop?
Next few months maybe
16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
I would like to have a 256NVMe boot drive and I have a 2.5" 1TB SSD I would like to use.
If push comes to shove I can just use the 2.5" drive and install my SSD.
18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
I would really like an 8th gen intel cpu (AMD is okay if the drives play nice with Linux)
For integrated graphics I would like dual channel RAM (16GB preferred)
180 degree hinge
I dont know if using a usb-c dongle for ethernet for Steam in home streaming would cause extra latency...
One traditional style usb port so I can use my normal Logitech mouse would be nice, but not required
Number pad is preferred
My current laptop is a Sager NP8651 which will end up being my source/streaming from laptop till I can get a new video card for my desktop. The main issue when using this laptop is that it can get really hot on my lap, battery life leaves a lot to be desired and the bezels are large (I have gotten spoiled by thin bezels.)
Read responses in forum.desktopreview.com