Hey. I'm looking for a high-nit, high-contrast matte ultrabook (for use in direct sunlight and shade) with decent battery life, solid keyboard (Dell Precision, Thinkpad quality), under 3.5lbs.
I've identified the Thinkpad T470s (better display) and T480s (weaker display), as well as the Dell 7490 and 7480, but am curious if there's anything else out there. The T470s with WQHD, in particular, has one of the best screens on a matte display out there. The X1 Carbon looks good, but with a dim display on the matte screens I'm wondering if it will be usable outdoors.
I'd love to hear if anyone has any experiences with using their own laptops outdoors and which of the display specs made it perform better / worse. I'm also curious if a matte accessory cover on a 500+ nit display would get the job done better than a matte display. I've never read of anyone trying it.
1) What is your budget?
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Thinkpad, Dell
b. Dislike: Asus, Acer, etc (they all seem to have non-existent key travel).
5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Processor-intensive statistics. Looking at the new quad core Intels.
7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
Taking it all over the city outdoors and in.
8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
1920x1080 or higher.
13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
15) When are you buying this laptop?
16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
Doesn't matter, a year.
17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
128GB should be enough.
18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
Read responses in forum.desktopreview.com