Link Power Management == days...
This mistake cost me over a day of update hours...
Just recently got a scratch and dent 15 R3 from the Dell outlet. Great machine, but only had a spinning drive, so I added cheap WD m.2 sata for the boot device. I did a fresh install of windows with the new drive and immediately downloaded all of the BIOS, drivers, and applications from Dell. One of them was the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver. I guess by default it set the "Link Power Management" to "Enabled". I really had no idea what this driver did or how to manage it. I was just trying to install every driver the machine was supposed to come with.
I then immediately did a windows update... it took over 6 hours to finish. I thought I had a bad SSD. I had never used western digital SSDs before. I thought maybe they were just bad. I downloaded all kinds of bench marks, and ran them. They seemed a little slow, but not to far off spec. But everything was just sluggish. Boot times were ok. So I figured, maybe I had a driver incompatibility or something. I then ran another windows update... this was the "creator" update to windows 10, and it took 12 hours.
After that, I ran more benchmarks, googled for m.2 sata incompatibilities, etc. Finally, I somewhat randomely clicked on the Intel management app in the tool tray, and happened upon the "Link Power Management" option. As soon as I disabled it and rebooted, the system immediately became snappier. The very next installation program I ran screamed. Oh my god! I can't believe how much time I wasted on this.
Maybe all of you already know this, but I am an Alienware newbie. Anyway, just thought my story might save someone a bunch of time.
Read responses in forum.printercomparison.com