Help! Need to replace my Sager...
Basically I had the PERFECT laptop, but after nearly 7 years it just died :-( Internal workings and screen as great as ever, fast and wonderful, but alas, the frame around the screen broke--maybe because it is so heavy--and ultimately the on/off switch is permanently switched off.
So: basically I just want to replace my old computer. Below I've pasted in the most important specs from my old computer. I also answered all the "what should I buy?" questions, although I don't know if they are really relevant. I am aware that I don't really need a beast like a sager. I'm not playing games or doing anything that needs that kind of power. Originally got my original Sager because I was doing autocad, revit, photoshop all at the same time. Not doing that anymore, but got used to my Sager. It was perfect. Specifically what I liked was:
1. super pretty screen!
2. fast-fast-fast-fast. Like, my 7 year old computer was faster than most people's new computer
3. chicklet keyboard. This is a must!
4. Believe it or not, i kind of liked the heft of my Sager. It made balancing on my leg the way I used it/type must easier. Too light a computer means the computer slides off my leg.
5. wonderful, super solid build quality.
The only improvement that would have been nice is if it had had better speakers.
So, given the specs of my old computer below, which of the current sagers is a closest match to the below? Also, I went to the Sager site and I don't understand the difference between certain items I'll list here,i.e the difference between
7th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-7700K and
7th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB and
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
or Killer DoubleShot Pro with Smart Teaming and
Intel Wireless-AC 8265 + Bluetooth
I also don't need a "Full color illuminated keyboard" which I think is part of what makes some the new Sagers so expensive (?) Basically I just want something that has at least the same functionality as the specs below. Can anyone help?
- 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glare Type Screen
- Intel® Core™ i7-720QM, 1.60-2.80GHz, (45nm, 6MB L3 cache)
- nVidia GeForce GTX 280M 1,024MB PCI-Express GDDR3 DX10 (User Upgradeable)
- ~ 6,144MB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS) (Requires Vista 64-Bit to utilize Full 4GB)
- ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Softwares
- ~ 500GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)
- Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
- Internal Bluetooth + EDR
- Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 5300 802.11 a/g/n Wi-Fi Link
- Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
Note: I had a SSHD. Started with 125 size and switched out to a 250 size a couple years ago
1) What is your budget?
$1200 to $1500 would be good, but willing to go for $2000
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
I will return to the States to buy it (Am American Expat)
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
I only want a Sager!
5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Photoshop, Word, Surfing
7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
Leave it on my desk
8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
Yes, by not the games you're thinking of, i.e. Hearts and Solitaire is my speed.
9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
I'm used to Sager's zero battery life
10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
On=line without seeing is oK
11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
12) 1920 / 1080
13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
Build Quality and Design
14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
15) When are you buying this laptop?
16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
SSD drive. The bigger the better
18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
I just wanna be able to watch DVDs
Read responses in forum.printercomparison.com