Gaming Laptop $2400 Budget for...
I posted a similar thread on another forum by accident, and figured I should make one on the thread it belongs instead.
I travel semi-frequently, and getting a laptop is my best choice for mobility. But with so many different potential laptops (all with their pros and cons), I find myself going back and forth on which to choose. Some buddies of mine suggest I go for GTX 1080 for future-proofing, while others say it's overkill for gaming on 1080p. But I'm not familiar enough with laptops to say whether 3k or 4k gaming is worth the investment.
Many thanks in advance!
1) What is your budget?
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
US, UK, or Hong Kong. Likely case is, will be buying it only from US to ship to HK, and I'll either bring it to UK myself, or my family (who've kindly offered) to bring it with them to the UK when they come to visit.
Likely will buy from HIDevolution (omw to sending Mr. Donald a link to this thread as well ).
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Any
b. Dislike: Acer, HP
5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Gaming as primary, but will also be spending a lot of time typing. Will also be using statistical software, and light photo-editing. I'll probably have 1-2 applications (eg. chrome, discord, IBM SPSS 24) running in the background while gaming.
7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
If it's not on my desk, it'll be in my check-in luggage. So weight, battery, and thickness is not an issue for me. Only build quality and cooling are my major points besides overall specs.
8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
I've got Nier: Automata and Darksouls 3 sadly collecting dust in my steam acc because my laptop can't run it. But I'd love to be able to play a variety of games on the laptop.
9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
n/a, it'll be plugged in 99% of the time.
10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
Planning to visit my local Curry's PC World to get a feel of the laptops in person, but I trust the experts in the forums here too, as many do
11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
Prioritising on specs and build quality, I would aim for 1080p to suit my budget. But 3k res would be nice if it can be within the budget.
13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
Glossy, but I'm alright with either in consideration to build quality and cooling.
Build Quality and Design
14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
No, although I wouldn't say no to an RGB keyboard
15) When are you buying this laptop?
Between now and 2 months, or later if needed
16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
At least 2-3 years running high/ultra (or moderate/high for later years)
17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
Ideally ~250GB SSD and 1TB HDD
18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
Read responses in forum.desktopreview.com