Feedback on the Gigabyte Aero 15X 8th gen i7 1080p display
1. Purchase experience.
1) I purchased my Aero 15X with GenTechPC after watching their review on YouTube. Since I'm a student, I got 2% off by using the "edu" coupon and providing the student ID by replying the order confirmation email. Since I live outside California, I do not pay sales tax.
2)After placed the order, I revisited the GenTechPC website, I realize that they made a mistake for my order, the default wireless/bluetooth card for my order is Intel Wireless-AC 9560, but the correct one by default should be Intel Wireless-AC 8265, after talking to Ken at the customer service team on the phone, I got a free upgrade to Intel Wireless-AC 9260.
3)The pre-order should come with a Bundle with AERO Beats EP Headphones, Backpack, M6800 Gaming Mouse, XMP300 Mouse Pad based on my order, but I only received the laptop alone. After emailing the support team, Ken replied that they are aware of it, and Gigabyte is sending more bundles to vendors, so mine will come in a separate package.
So far, I have been satisfied with GenTechPC.
2. What I like about this laptop.
1) The first thing to notice is definitely the display. Compared to my previous laptop, a Lenovo Y500, a 6-year-old gaming laptop with SSD, the Aero 15X is a gorgeous baby. I am an engineering student, I don't care much about color accuracy much, but my eyes just feel comfortable with this display. I guess the best technology is to make you feel like technology doesn't exist. The hinge feels good.
2) Keyboard feels good, typing on it is just a joy. I quickly adapt to it. The trackpad is smooth and after installing the Lenovo driver suggested by Dave2D on YouTube, it works great. There is definitely no need to envy a Dell XPS trackpad.
3) The hardware is definitely powerful, but I don't feel much improvement in overall experience switching from my old laptop. You wouldn't expect to open chrome instantly and open YouTube fullscreen without any lag.
Overal, I am loving it and I do not regret choosing it.
3. What I hope to improve.
1) The power adaptor is huge! While engineers care about the bezel-less display, colorful keyboard backlight and etc., please remember the power adaptor is also a key component of the product. I'll have take them with me when I travel.
2) Build quality. My right "shift" key and "\ " key have very dim backlights, and I have seen people complain about uneven backlight. The power button is slightly off center, and the camera doesn't seem to sit in the center of the ring.
3) The display turns off when the lid and keyboard have an angle less than about 45 degrees. It can be annoying sometimes. The USB ports are very difficult to plug in.
4) Thermal and noise. The fan noise would be louder than some of the ultrabooks, but I think it is fine. My working environment has louder noise from the air conditioner and I usually wear headphones. But when I take this laptop to my quiet bedroom and do some web browsing, I can hear the noise. When I put it on my laptop, I can feel the heat, which is not high enough to make me feel uncomfortable.
5) Gigabyte "smart" series software. These are outdated software, Gigabyte should really put more efforts into them. When I change volume with fn + F8, Windows will have a volume bar, and Gigabyte also provides one, that not smart. When I boot up and power off the device, the screen will flash. I didn't a Windows reset and I have to go through a bad experience installed drivers using the "Smart" Updater, the download speed is so slow, and sometimes it complains not internet connection.
Well, I have to say the Aero 15X is not perfect, but I couldn't find a better option.
Let me know if you share some common issues as I have and feel free to ask any question.
Read responses in notebookreview.com