Need recommendations on a good...
Hi everyone. I'm sort of new here. Definitely not as smart as the vast majority of you with respect to technical know-how. I've been lurking for a couple of years and recognize NBR as the best place to come to get help and suggestions. (Full disclosure: I've done a bit of writing/reviewing of products and services for the NBR site in the past, but it's amazing how much you can learn long enough to write an article, only to forget it all five minutes later ... at least that seems to be the case with me!) My wife needs a new laptop for video production. She's got a successful YouTube channel and her HP Envy isn't cutting it (lots of lag when running her editing program, CyberLink PowerDirector, which only seems to be getting worse). She's on the brink of approaching the local laptop dealer for a solution, which worries me because this place runs used car-style commercials and likely charges way above what you can get if you know what you need. Any suggestions would be welcome to help us narrow down the search.
1) What is your budget?
USD $1500 - $2000 (but if that's unrealistic for her needs, I'm sure she'd be willing to go higher)
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
17" preferred, but 15" would be acceptable.
3) Where will you buying this notebook?
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Don't want: Apple/Mac.
Have used (and like): HP (but open to suggestion, since I don't know if HP offers what we need).
5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
Maybe, but new is preferred.
6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Video editing (currently using CyberLink PowerDirector but may step up in the future to something more powerful), no gaming, general online activities like social media, email, streaming music, occasional video streaming.
7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
Both, but it doesn't need to be "outdoors rugged." Just moving back and forth from home to office.
8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
This isn't very important, as the laptop will be plugged in most of the time.
10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
Prefer to see it, but open to buying online without giving it a test drive first.
11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
1920x1080 ... I think? :/ HD is needed, but again, this is one area I'm not very educated on.
13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
Build Quality and Design
14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
15) When are you buying this laptop?
Within the next couple of months.
16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
Forever, but since that's not realistic, 5 years.
17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
This also isn't an issue - the device will be paired up with an external hard drive most of the time. Open to SSD.
18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
Many thanks in advance!