UK User Seeks Help With...
I was here back in 2010 and now the laptop I bought needs to be replaced. I bought an ASUS K52 series 17" screen. Aside from getting on a bit, it is now not meeting my needs for portability.
1) What is your budget? around £500-600ish
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12" screen
c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
but would consider
d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen if not too heavy
3) Where will you buying this notebook? England, UK
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: ASUS
b. Dislike: Acer
5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
I work online as a freelance writer and researcher. I use the net for research, the usual word processing and spreadsheet type programs for work, watch YouTube videos and play music. I tend to have a lot of tabs open and be doing more than one thing at a time so I need a computer that can cope with this.
7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
Both. A couple of times a month I will travel quite long distances on public transport (mainly train) with the laptop
8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
The laptop will be used mainly from mains power so an average battery time is fine
10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
I don't mind purchasing without seeing it
11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
I prefer Windows. At the moment, I am using Windows 7.
12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
Standard or Midrange (I think I have that right).
13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
Build Quality and Design
14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
15) When are you buying this laptop?
In the next month or so
16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
As long as possible
17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
The more the better, I guess. I currently have 500GB, but I have used just over 200GB of that. I believe an SSD might be a good option due to the weight factor/portability, but not sure if this is achievable in my price range.
18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
Thanks for any help.