so i overclocked my gtx980 till it´s sparked... strangely it sitll works tho but im wored about...
so lets start from the beginning...
so ive overclocked around with my gigabyte gtx 980 wind force quite a bit and never had problems beyond gpu drivers crashing yet due to to little voltage till today
ive had a custom bios on the card for quite a while now for higher power target and voltage wich worked quite fine and usually, i made sure not to get it over 80°c even in fur mark
but today i got a bit sloppy and tryed to push it once again and it went all the way to 91°c at wich point the fans spun up to max and i stopped fur mark there it still was fine but during further testing my pc jsut straight up turned off no freeze nothing just was off form one second to the next
at this point ive smelled something burned for quiet a while tho tought it was my inagination and when i went to turn it back on (power button broke so i use the power button on my mainboard wich is right under my gpu) it sparked from what i would suspect to be the vrm (look picutre to see wich one i think it was) wich seems wired to me since i only head of capacitors sparking so far
tho you should note that for a time i had a "custom" backplate installed so there was some leftover cheap thermal paste there wich might have caused a short circuit
i can't recall exactly but it looked like 3 small bright yellowish sparks going for about 2 cm if i recall correctly
at this point i was sure i toasted my 980 but after closely inspecting it there were no burn marks no visibly damaged components or anything out of the ordinary and when i plugged it back in it it worked just fine, i could even complete a run of the furmark preset (tho i heavily undervolted and underclocked the card due to fearing the worst) and it seems to run just fine
the thing now is it seems to work but how safe is it to use it, i doubt that a broken gpu can damage any other components but im afraid that there is a chance of it catching fire...
so would it be unresponsible to use it if there are no further signs of it malfunctioning?(pc is only turned on when im in the room anyways) (educated opinions only please)
these are the profiles i will run from now (since i mainly play tf2 and ow csgo and lol and don't need more gpu power) at wich i cant get the vrm(or what i suspect to be the vrms) to exede 50°c under any condition while only sacrificing only around 20% performance
sorry for my abysmal spelling/phrasing skills and thanks for any responses
Edited by mawer555 - Today at 8:34 am '); }