Forumsee logo
Forumsee » Hardware » Apple & Mac » Read message
RSS: Subscribe to RSS

Upgrade external drive now or wait for TB3?

iMac - MacRumors Forums - forums.macrumors.com
I'd like to buy a Thunderbay IV external drive/enclosure from OWC. However, I plan to upgrade to the new iMac when it comes out, and I also plan to buy a new Macbook Pro this fall when it comes out (if rumors are true). My understanding—correct me if I'm wrong—is that both will have Thunderbolt 3?

If so, I imagine OWC will be coming out with a Thunderbolt IV that supports TB3. I'm wondering whether I should wait for this, or just get the Thunderbolt 2 version now.

My primary use of this external drive will be to store older photos that I'm not actively working on, and backup. Newer photos that I am still processing/editing are stored on a very fast LaCie Little Big Disk.

Given this, I imagine that TB2 is plenty fast and waiting for TB3 doesn't make much sense? I guess if I was editing photos/video regularly from this external drive TB3 might give me some meaningful speed gains, but for backup and only occasional photo editing TB2 would not be a limiting factor, right?

 
Date: Aug 15, 2016   


Last videos:

Proactive Privacy
Proactive Privacy
Printing Anime Designs On IPOD Back Covers
Printing Anime Designs On IPOD Back Covers
Printing Anime Designs On IPOD Back Covers
Printing Anime Designs On IPOD Back Covers
How to properly disconnect MagSafe power adapter
How to properly disconnect MagSafe power adapter
My friends see things differently...
My friends see things differently...
Why can't QT Player play this AVI?
Why can't QT Player play this AVI?
Compatible USB-C to HDMI Dongle that outputs 4k/60hz from the New Macbook Pro w/TB
Compatible USB-C to HDMI Dongle that outputs 4k/60hz from the New Macbook Pro w/TB
MacBook Pros (early 2015+) are rattling
MacBook Pros (early 2015+) are rattling

Cars ·
Travel ·
Pets ·
production-frontend